Sunday, July 26, 2009

Making Kid-Friendly Playdough

One of my earliest taste memories is the salty goodness of homemade playdough. When I was in 5 year old kindergarten Mrs. Wilson and Mrs. Turner would sometimes surprise us with this treat. After making their rounds, giving each child a generous portion of the mold-able gooey-ness, they would stop by my station and act surprised. "Mary! Is that all the playdough you got!?!? Where did you put the rest of it?" I would ashamedly shrug my shoulders and relish the delightful saltiness in my mouth. I know I'm not supposed to be encouraging you or your little ones to eat playdough, but wow, I've always thought it was so tasty. So, when my friend, Jaclyn, had me and the girls over last week and she busted out the homemade playdough, I simply had to get my hands into it, and sneak a taste... and she shared her recipe, which is the best I've found. It's not too clay-like and not sticky at all. It's just perfect. (And it tastes just like I remember... ;)

If your child is a little on the wild side (Jaclyn called it "spirited")
then she may be a kinesthetic or tactile learner (as opposed to an auditory or visual learner). Playing with things that keep their hands busy can be helpful, especially if you need to get them occupied for more than 5 minutes. Piggy has really enjoyed playing with this playdough.

Homemade Playdough

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/4 cup salt
food coloring

Pour water, flour, salt, cream of tartar, and oil into a pot. Mix until smooth. Add your food coloring. (Remember that the standard red, yellow, blue, and green can be mixed to create orange, purple, and brown, too.)


Put the pot on medium heat (I went a shade under medium) and stir until it all sticks together.


Dump it all out on wax paper and let it cool slightly. It may be a little sticky until it begins to cool.




Knead it together until it is smooth.









Place it in separate airtight containers or baggies.

Enjoy!!

*It took Piggy all of 30 seconds to sample the playdough. She thought it was rather delicious as well. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for giving me props - and so glad it tastes good for your spirited little one...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! I always thought it smelled good, but I will have to get a taste of it when I make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how long our homemade playdough has lasted. We've had it well over a year.

    I like to try out natural dyes, too. Turmeric works well for yellow. And I added glitter to our purple (w/ a touch of lavender EO for a yummy smell) to make "fairy dough."

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make this for us ALL the time. Such good memories!

    ReplyDelete