Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wellness Wednesday

Today is Wellness Wednesday, but this week is World Breastfeeding Week. So, what's a girl to do? I had hoped to have enough research to support a well written post about all the known wellness benefits to breastfeeding. But I ran out of time. It's on my to-do list for next year. Instead, I am going to share my home remedies for colds and coughs that you can use while nursing. You know how on all the bottles on medicine it says to consult your physician of you are pregnant or nursing? Well, that's why I don't take medicines... I've been pregnant or nursing for the last 35 months and I have gotten sick here and there. Here's my regimen (and thanks, Linda, for sharing it with me!!)

When the signs or symptoms of a cold come on, like a weird tickle in the back of my throat, or a little scratchiness this is what I do:

2000mg Garlic (over the counter is perfect) every hour for 4 hours (You and your entire house will probably smell like an Italian restaurant, but who doesn't like Italian?!?)
500-1000mg Calcium every hour for 4 hours
350mg Echinacea

After the initial bolus of Garlic and Vitamin C, I spread it out to:

2000mg Garlic every 4 hours
500-1000mg Vitamin C every 4 hours
350mg Echinacea morning and night (Echinacea is only potent for the first 5 days or so, so you can leave this off after that period of time.)

Just a note of caution. Vitamin C is water soluble (so is not toxic) but can cause diarrhea or loose stools. If you experience that, then back off.

I continue with this protocol until the symptoms subside- usually 3 to 5 days depending on the illness. (When I had my sinus infection, it lasted for 7 days... that was yuck.)

I have also come across some yummy teas that help with coughing. Recently, I ordered Blue Violet Leaves, Calendula Leaves, Cramp Bark, Slippery Elm, and Plantain Leaves. I put some of each in a tea ball and created a lovely hot tea that helped to reduce my coughing while at the same time making each cough I did have more productive. I made sure that none of them were contraindicated for nursing and have been pleased with the results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment